Delicious WALNUT CHEDDAR VEGGIE BURGER recipe with ingredients available at the Co-op. It's a winner! The burger stays firmly together so it's easy to grill.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1 small summer squash, shredded (or substitute another zucchini in place of summer squash)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup crushed walnuts
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 egg slight beaten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or any type of seasoning sauce you like)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
Add carrots, squash, and zucchini to the skillet. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and drain excess water.
In bowl, mix cooked vegetables, oats, walnuts, wheat germ, cheese, egg, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Make 3-inch round diameter patties with cooled veggie mixture.
Grill outdoors or place on greased broiling pan and and broil for 5 minutes on each side.
Optional: melt a slice of cheese on top.
Serve on a toasted bun with all the fixings if desired! Enjoy!