Resolution #2: Get more sleep
Everyone claims to want to get more sleep, but somehow we still manage to avoid it by doing things contrary to relaxation such as drinking coffee late in the day, using electronic devices right up until bedtime or having a glass of wine at night. A good night sleep is critical to our health, happiness and success. Here are some smart foods you can eat to help you get those 40 winks.
- Foods such as fish, chickpeas, bananas and fortified cereals contain Vitamin B6, which the body needs to make melatonin. Tart cherry juice is also high in melatonin and a couple of glasses a day may help you sleep better.
- Having yogurt before bed can help to reverse the effects of low calcium, which can lead to sleeplessness. Kale is also a good source of calcium.
- Whole grains before bed can help restore magnesium, which helps your body to fall asleep. Almonds also are a good source of this mineral.
- Decaffeinated or herbal teas such as chamomile will surely prepare your body for the rest it needs. Hint: Check out the teas at Doylestown Food Market from our Producer of the Month, The Tea Can Company.
- A protein snack before can help you sleep through the night. Try a hard boiled egg.